Find and access recently published information and resources.
New BRANZ resources and publications
Alternative tenure models
BRANZ has published a number of publications that examine the issue of alternative tenure models:
- Alternative tenure models and their potential applicability in a NZ context, External research Report ER35;
- What's happening in the intermediate housing market since 2015, External Research Report ER37;
- Two new fact sheets in the Research Now area - What are alternative tenure models, and which alternative tenure models suit which household?
Two new External Research Reports published
Two new External Research Reports have been published:
- Report ER36: Planning barriers for prefabricated housing, 20 March 2019; and
- Report ER38: Ensuring affordable concrete supply post 2020 for New Zealand, April 2019.
Changes to Building Code, Standards and legislation
Building system legislative reform programme - summary of submissions
Submissions closed on 21 June 2019. Click here to read a summary of submissions and a discussion paper.
Public consultation is open for NZS 3640 and NZS 3602
A second round of public consultation on the draft revisions of NZS 3640:2003 Preservation of timber and wood-based products (DZ 3640) and NZS 3602:2003 Timber and wood based products for use in buildings (DZ 3602) has opened. Individuals, organisations, and the wider building and construction sector are encouraged to have their say on the drafts. Public consultation will close for feedback on 23 August, 2019. Click here for more information.
MBIE funds over 120 building standards for free download
To remove barriers to achieving compliance in the building system, over 120 building standards are now available for free download. See Building Controls Update 250 for more information.
NZ Metal Roof and Wall Cladding Code of Practice (COP) updated
The MRM Code of Practice was updated on 1 August 2019. The following major revisions have been made:
- The main clause Testing has been substantially revised to give more practical guidance for testing in accordance with the NZ MRM COP;
- The main clause Safety has been substantially revised and updated to reflect the HSWA 2015;
- The sub-clause Fixing Aluminium has been substantially revised to better reflect good trade practices and manufacturers' recommendations.
There have also been a number of other less significant changes.
Other news and publications
Reform of vocational education
The Government has announced the reform of the vocational education and training system in New Zealand - see the new announcement website for more information.